Discover the basics on how to use hashtags with your social media.
Adding hashtags in your company’s posts on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Instagram is a great way to include your message in relevant conversations or give your customers a searchable way to learn about or talk about your brand. Many business owners don’t know how to use hashtags to make the most of their social media updates. Here are some tips to help you use them effectively.
6 Common Social Media Hashtag Questions
- What is a hashtag? A hashtag is simply the pound symbol (#) in front of the word, words or phrase you are categorizing your topic into. Common trends that are sorted using a simple hashtag could be #Gift or #Shopping.
- How do I enter the conversation? Figuring out what hashtag is the best fit for the topic you are writing about can be hard. Thankfully, there are quite a few websites designed to follow trends and help users identify them. Hashtags.org, TweetChat.com, Twitter.comor Twubs.com are good options to find real-time information on hashtags and conversations with lots of traction.
- How do I use multiple words? Many categories have hashtags with multiple words in them such as #ThrowbackThursday or an event name like #MarchMadness. When using multiple words in your hashtags, capitalize the first letter of each new word to make it easy for your readers to identify what you are trying to convey.
- Can I make my own? Absolutely! Creating your own keywordsfor your customers and followers to use is a great way to spread the word about your business or event. Create a few hashtags like your business name or a unique, catchy phrase and share them with your followers to use when they mention you. This can also be a great way to get customer feedback about a new product or service and gain valuable insight.
- Is it okay to use more than one? The answer is yes, but up to a point. The most you’ll want to use per post is three because research shows engagement actually declines when four or more are used. Not sure what else to add? The site Meis a great way to find hashtags related to any word or phrase you want to use. It is worth noting one exception to this rule of thumb: Instagram updates actually do better with as many as 11 hashtags.
- Should I only use hashtags on Twitter? Even though Twitter is the birthplace of hashtags when it comes to social media, using your hashtags across all of your channels will establish consistency. Many social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Google+, have integrated the use of hashtags to allow your followers to easily identify you. However, how hashtags are used on the platforms varies slightly.
Hashtags are a great way to engage the followers you already have as well as get the attention of other potential customers. What hashtags have worked for your business? Share them with us and happy tagging!