Featured Articles »

November 19, 2014 – 9:55 am | One Comment

Google Plus has become the newest leader for small business and social media marketing. The new social media platform offers advantages that Twitter and Facebook cannot, but how do you know what to do or …

Read the full story »
Finance & Legal

Raising capital, bookkeeping, angel investors, creating a corporation, and legal requirements are just a few of the many topics you’ll find here.

Operations

Streamline the day to day by creating systems that create consistent product and service offerings, as well as save you time and money.

Marketing

Traditional print advertising or online marketing? PR? Web and Social Media? Craft a marketing plan by using the right media to find your target customer.

Sales

Learn techniques and strategies that will help you win more business. Integrate your marketing plan with your sales plan. And more…

Real Business Owners

Real business owners share their experiences, insights, and the resources they found helpful when starting up their own businesses.

Home » Erika Taylor Montgomery, Social Media

4 Tips for Using Twitter for Social Media Marketing

Submitted by on August 10, 2016 – 9:55 amNo Comment
Follow these 4 Twitter Tips!

Follow these 4 Twitter Tips!

Is your business using Twitter for social media marketing? Larger social networking sites like Facebook tend to get all of the love from marketers, however Twitter is a fantastic vehicle to spread the good news about your company! When creating content on Twitter for your business, be sure to follow these four tips.

4 Twitter Tips to Follow

  1. Pay Attention to Limits

One of the biggest distinguishing features of Twitter from other social media sites is its character limits, but there are several other limits to be aware of in order for your social media marketing efforts to soar.

  • Follower Limits:Each account is allowed to follow 2,000 users, then after that, “a small percentage” more than the number of followers they have.
  • Tweet Limits:Each account can only send 1,000 tweets per day (though we don’t recommend nearly that many!)
  • API Limits:Each account can only perform 100 API calls per hour. Each click or view that requires you to communicate with the platform counts as one API call.
  • Direct Message Limits:Accounts can send up to 250 outgoing messages each day.
  • Direct Message Character Limits:Direct messages are limited to 10,000 characters.
  1. Make it Personal

Personalize each message you share; if you re-tweet an update, be sure to hit reply and add your own thoughts. Fans want to see your brand as a friend; this can help you gain customer advocates. A loyal following can do wonders for spreading your message, so make sure you’ve made personal connections and built a strong network of followers.

  1. Provide Value to Your Customers

Twitter users aren’t likely to follow a company that isn’t providing a benefit to them, whether it’s entertainment, coupons, interesting news or contests. It’s important to ask yourself, “What value am I providing to my audience?” each time you click publish, so you are sharing only interesting and beneficial updates. It’s also a good idea to follow the 80/20 rule: 80 percent of the updates you share should be non-self-promotional, while the remaining 20 percent of your content can be directly promoting your business.

  1. Reach Out

Part of successful social media engagement is reaching out often to your customers and fans through re-tweets and ‘likes,’ but you should also ask for feedback. Use Twitter’s poll feature to ask meaningful questions and gain insight into your customers’ habits and frame of mind. A good best practice is to spend some time on your page each day re-tweeting and replying to other industry leaders and customer comments.

Knowing the limits of Twitter, personalizing your message, providing valuable advice and offers to customers, and reaching out for feedback can all help your business establish a solid presence on the platform. Happy tweeting!

Written by Erika Taylor Montgomery
Tags: ,

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also Comments Feed via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

UA-36862816-1