6 Do’s and Don’t of Using WordPress
As a new business owner, you may be wondering what the best platform to make a website is. If you ask around you will probably hear WordPress thrown around. But what is this platform? WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and content management system that allows user customization and has endless opportunities for business growth. Building a strong following online is crucial, and the WordPress platform allows business owners and leaders to do just that at minimal cost with maximum efficiency and flexibility.
Starting a WordPress blog or website can be daunting if you’ve never done something like that. For that reason, there are a few tips and tricks for creating and maintaining a quality, and effectively utilized, WordPress site.
Do’s and Don’ts of WordPress
- Do encourage feedback: When your site is up and running, make sure to allow for client and reader comments. Encourage feedback from your users and be willing to adapt the site according to that feedback. It is important to be aware of any concerns your audiences may have in order to move forward and continue being effective in your online marketing and communications efforts.
- Do research your market: WordPress will give you a platform for reaching your desired demographics, but it is your job as a business leader to do responsible research to discover who should be included in those demographics. Be sure to know who you are hoping to reach with your product or service and go from there. This will help when creating content for your site and planning future outreach via WordPress.
- Do be proactive and cohesive: When creating your WordPress site, be aware of the brand image that your business is hoping to portray and create a theme for the site that is cohesive to that image. Create something that is an extension of your product and service that will draw in the demographic that you desire to serve.
- Don’t do it alone: Creating and maintaining a WordPress site is a job that should be done by someone that understand the goals and objectives of having the page and knows how to present a business like yours. Don’t insist on doing everything yourself; an extra pair of eyes can eliminate simple mistakes, give valuable feedback and improve the quality of your content. WordPress experts like KM GURU can also help you design a custom and highly professional website or blog.
- Don’t focus solely on your product alone: Your site should have an aspect that does not focus only on your product, services or offerings but rather your industry and topics associated with it. Having resources on your site, like content in a blog, will encourage a higher volume of visits and will improve your chances of having material shared on various social media networks.
- Don’t forget about the site: The set it and forget it mindset should be checked at the door. Having a site that will improve your online popularity is not something that will do itself. Be mindful of your projects, read all comments and feedback and make it a priority to update your content at least one time a week.
At Three Girls Media, we work with the WordPress platform on a daily basis. If you or anyone you know is looking to grow their business online then we encourage you to contact us today. We’re happy to answer your questions.
Photo Credit: Wikipedia CommonsWritten by Erika Taylor Montgomery
Tags: Blogs, small business, Websites, WordPress