Social Media Platforms – How to Maximize Descriptions on Pinterest
There are many social media platforms out there from you to choose from, however using Pinterest to promote your business is a great way to optimize your content for searches. The best way to do this is by giving each pin a targeted description that includes relevant keywords in 500 characters or less. Here are 4 tips to writing better Pinterest descriptions.
1. Provide Context – On all social media platforms, descriptions are important. The same goes for images on Pinterest. Without descriptions, you’re not helping to promote yourself, your business or your products and you leave it up to the user’s imagination as to why you pinned that particular image. There is always that image that is self-explanatory and needs no context, however, most images need clear, concise and specific descriptions to help pique a user’s interest.
Here are a few things to consider when writing an image description:
- Why you pinned the image
- What idea the image represents
- What tips you have that go along with the image
- Information related to the image
2. Spell Out the Specifics – Don’t be vague within your descriptions; make sure you spell out the specifics. For example, don’t just write, “These are really great products.” Write something like, “These are the top product picks for keeping your skin looking fabulous this summer!” It’s not only more specific, but it’s also more helpful to the reader.
3. Include a Call to Action – Did you know that according to Reachli.com, descriptions that contain a call to action on all social media platforms see an 80% increase in engagement? This means you should make sure to write one every time you pin something. For example, let’s say you’ve pinned an image for tax season that shows a small-business owner pulling out his hair in despair. The description explains that there are five ways a small business can avoid stress at tax time and provides a link to an article on the topic. It’s a good start, but you should take it one step further by encouraging users with a specific call to action.
Here are some suggested call-to-action phrases to incorporate into your pin descriptions:
- Read more ways to
- To learn more
- Sign up online
- Please submit ideas and questions to
- Call for a complimentary consultation
- Tell us what you think
4. Link to Your Website – Another good way of encouraging user interaction on all your social media platforms is to add live links to the captions below your pins simply by adding a URL to a pin’s description and clicking the red “Save Pin” button. Adding a link to the description can drive traffic to your website and/or blog.
By using some of these tips you will help your fan base grow and see more traffic to your website, blog or social media platforms. Do you have any other Pinterest tips to add?
Three Girls Media & Marketing Inc. is a public relations and social media management agency with teams in Silicon Valley and the Seattle area. We love working with small and emerging companies across the nation to raise their brand awareness and name recognition. I offer a complimentary 30-minute phone consultation and can answer your questions and discuss your specific marketing needs. Email me today at Info@ThreeGirlsMedia.com to arrange yours!
Photo Credit: GoodNCrazyWritten by Erika Taylor Montgomery
descriptions, pin, Pinterest, social media platforms